Thursday, March 11, 2010

Measley Mumps


(Above: calling the doctor)

I recently had a case of roseola, or as Mommy and Daddy refer to it, the Measley Mumps. It started with a fever and a bit of a runny nose, and then I broke out in rash all over. Luckily, it didn't itch, but I still felt pretty poopy. We thought I was having a reaction to my MMR shot at first. The fever hit exactly one week after my vaccine (very common with the MMR shot) and then the rash came (another potential MMR shot reaction). My pediatrician's office was closed over the weekend, so Mommy talked to the on-call triage nurses about it and they agreed it was a reaction to the MMR vaccine. However, when a pediatrician from my doctor's office called Monday to check on me, she said she suspected it might be something different since the rash came after the fever broke. I went in to get looked at in person and it was confirmed - I had roseola.

The worst part is that roseola is contagious to other babies and toddlers. The weekend triage nurses had okayed me to play with other babies when they thought it was just a MMR shot reaction, so I had a playdate with one of my boyfriends, Russell, and now I'm afraid he may get the Measley Mumps too. Russell, if you read this, I'm so sorry! I didn't know I was contagious. Mommy already had to call to explain and apologize to Russell's mommy. Luckily, Russell's mommy was very understanding.

My rash is almost gone now, but I still sadly had to miss music class this week, just in case I could still be contagious. I will just have to do some extra singing and dancing at home to make up for it. At least I'm still ok to travel, though. We've got our big London-Dublin trip coming up - we leave this evening! I'm so excited! We get to go on a plane where I can have 10 hours straight of tray-on-the-seat-back fun! Hope we have friendly neighbors.... Then, once we get there, I get to see Aunt Miss Natasha Turner and show her all my cool new tricks. We will return home on Sunday, 3/21. After that, I'll do a post to let you know all about my adventure.

(Below: proving you can still have fun, even if you've got the Measley Mumps)

2 comments:

  1. I love you Talley and hope you have a wonderful trip. I am so glad you are over the measley-mumps, but you still looked beautiful with them :) I will miss you
    Love
    Grandma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Talley,
    It is TIME to update your blog for the fans :) I know you have had a lot of adventures, going to England being one!!!
    Looking forward to getting the news!!
    Love, Grandma Linda

    ReplyDelete